How to Throw A Sexy, Stylish Soiree
Imagine: Picasso telling dirty jokes to a Nobel Prize winning scientist while Coco Chanel is making out in the corner with her (not so-) secret lover Igor Stravinsky. Just another night chez Misia Sert, sometime during the Roaring Twenties in Paris. This original French it-girl, was the inspiration for my latest Couture Collection and while researching Misia’s amazing life, I got inspired to throw my own absolutely fabulous petite fête. Lemme tell you, my friends still haven’t recovered… (I swear it has nothing to do with the Mint Juleps I served)
Here’s how you can turn a boring dinner party into a sexy soirée:
- Be selective when you make your guest list. Only choose fun, conversation-loving people and pick characters from all walks of life; from rock stars to rocket scientists. Stick to 6-8 guests, the perfect balance between intimate and festive.
- Get yourself some classic writing paper and matching envelopes, and send a superstylish handwritten invite to your chosen few. Believe me, it really sets the tone for your night.
- Choose a 1920s inspired dress code –Flapper Fabulous? Channel Chanel?- and INSIST people stick to it. Promise a best-dressed prize if you must! Guaranteed lots of pre-party fun and of course, a-ma-zing Instagram pics of the night itself.
- Come up with a classic signature drink for the evening. Champagne is always a great idea, or you could serve an original 20ties cocktail such as a Bee’s Knees. (Shake 2 oz gin, 3/4 oz honey syrup and 1/2 oz fresh lemon juice with ice, strain into a chilled cocktail glass, serve.) Santé, ma chérie!
- Don’t slave over a hot oven all day, offer fabulous finger foods instead. Check Aida Mollenkamp’s new twist on 1920’s French cuisine. For example: warm good-quality olives over low heat with citrus zest, olive oil, and fennel seed until fragrant then serve warm, or roast cheese in the oven, topped with thyme and honey, for a makeshift fondue.
These tips will leave you with more time to play Misia, and mingle with your oh-so-fabulous guests!
Trying to become a Maestro!
For a television program I am competing with 8 other Dutch personalities to become THE “Maestro”. The last few weeks have been nerve wrecking; I found my new passion.
My week; an inside look
I never have a week with a same sort of agenda as the week before, or the week ahead. That’s because I sometimes live the life of four different people.
Funny, Feminist and Fearless Lena Dunham
Writer, director, and feminist Lena Dunham was in town for her book tour. I have been a big Lena fan for quite some time, even before she was the well-known lady she is today.
Sisse Marie wears the Leading Strings
I really wanted to share the pictures of this powerlady with you. Sisse Marie seems to love wearing my designs and we all love to see her wearing it!