How to Throw A Sexy, Stylish Soiree
Imagine: Picasso telling dirty jokes to a Nobel Prize winning scientist while Coco Chanel is making out in the corner with her (not so-) secret lover Igor Stravinsky. Just another night chez Misia Sert, sometime during the Roaring Twenties in Paris. This original French it-girl, was the inspiration for my latest Couture Collection and while researching Misia’s amazing life, I got inspired to throw my own absolutely fabulous petite fête. Lemme tell you, my friends still haven’t recovered… (I swear it has nothing to do with the Mint Juleps I served)
Here’s how you can turn a boring dinner party into a sexy soirée:
- Be selective when you make your guest list. Only choose fun, conversation-loving people and pick characters from all walks of life; from rock stars to rocket scientists. Stick to 6-8 guests, the perfect balance between intimate and festive.
- Get yourself some classic writing paper and matching envelopes, and send a superstylish handwritten invite to your chosen few. Believe me, it really sets the tone for your night.
- Choose a 1920s inspired dress code –Flapper Fabulous? Channel Chanel?- and INSIST people stick to it. Promise a best-dressed prize if you must! Guaranteed lots of pre-party fun and of course, a-ma-zing Instagram pics of the night itself.
- Come up with a classic signature drink for the evening. Champagne is always a great idea, or you could serve an original 20ties cocktail such as a Bee’s Knees. (Shake 2 oz gin, 3/4 oz honey syrup and 1/2 oz fresh lemon juice with ice, strain into a chilled cocktail glass, serve.) Santé, ma chérie!
- Don’t slave over a hot oven all day, offer fabulous finger foods instead. Check Aida Mollenkamp’s new twist on 1920’s French cuisine. For example: warm good-quality olives over low heat with citrus zest, olive oil, and fennel seed until fragrant then serve warm, or roast cheese in the oven, topped with thyme and honey, for a makeshift fondue.
These tips will leave you with more time to play Misia, and mingle with your oh-so-fabulous guests!
Happy Holidays – ADVENT(UROUS)
Do you remember as a child, excitedly ripping open the first door of your Advent Calendar to get to the scrumptious secret within? Well, I created something for you to regain that delicious excitement… and more!
The FEMININE|FEMINIST movement at Masters of LXRY
After the very successful show in Los Angeles, the FEMININE|FEMINIST movement continues. On December 9th Marlies will showcase her latest collection inspired by the great Edith Head at the Masters of LXRY event in Amsterdam.
Coming home for xmas
Confession: I am a total Xmas fanatic. I LIVE for the holiday season. While my usual taste can best be described as austere and intellectual, come Christmas, I’m into kitsch. Big time. Bring on the glitter, the glühwein and the sentimental songs!
Real life Cluedo with a sexy twist
Forget about stressful family gatherings and long, boring dinners; let me show you how to survive the (Christmas-) holidays in sexy style!