How to Throw A Sexy, Stylish Soiree
Imagine: Picasso telling dirty jokes to a Nobel Prize winning scientist while Coco Chanel is making out in the corner with her (not so-) secret lover Igor Stravinsky. Just another night chez Misia Sert, sometime during the Roaring Twenties in Paris. This original French it-girl, was the inspiration for my latest Couture Collection and while researching Misia’s amazing life, I got inspired to throw my own absolutely fabulous petite fête. Lemme tell you, my friends still haven’t recovered… (I swear it has nothing to do with the Mint Juleps I served)
Here’s how you can turn a boring dinner party into a sexy soirée:
- Be selective when you make your guest list. Only choose fun, conversation-loving people and pick characters from all walks of life; from rock stars to rocket scientists. Stick to 6-8 guests, the perfect balance between intimate and festive.
- Get yourself some classic writing paper and matching envelopes, and send a superstylish handwritten invite to your chosen few. Believe me, it really sets the tone for your night.
- Choose a 1920s inspired dress code –Flapper Fabulous? Channel Chanel?- and INSIST people stick to it. Promise a best-dressed prize if you must! Guaranteed lots of pre-party fun and of course, a-ma-zing Instagram pics of the night itself.
- Come up with a classic signature drink for the evening. Champagne is always a great idea, or you could serve an original 20ties cocktail such as a Bee’s Knees. (Shake 2 oz gin, 3/4 oz honey syrup and 1/2 oz fresh lemon juice with ice, strain into a chilled cocktail glass, serve.) Santé, ma chérie!
- Don’t slave over a hot oven all day, offer fabulous finger foods instead. Check Aida Mollenkamp’s new twist on 1920’s French cuisine. For example: warm good-quality olives over low heat with citrus zest, olive oil, and fennel seed until fragrant then serve warm, or roast cheese in the oven, topped with thyme and honey, for a makeshift fondue.
These tips will leave you with more time to play Misia, and mingle with your oh-so-fabulous guests!
For the designs of this Fall Winter 2014 collection, I was inspired by the heroic story of Joan of Arc. Reflecting the past years while having experienced all aspects of life, I found this legend of Joan of Arc admirable and inspirational.
Who’s a Nasty Gal?
What’s currently on my nightstand? This shouldn’t come as a surprise; it’s a nasty gal! The book #Girlboss is the latest achievement of power house Sophia Amoruso.
Spotted Tyra Banks
One of America’s ultimate top models, Tyra Banks, spotted in my designs, but this lady has a remarkable story
Woman Crush Wednesday
Some women can inspire me in such a way that you can maybe even call it a little crush. Want to know which ladies have this effect on me? Follow my #WomanCrushWednesdays on Twitter.